Laugh on Down the Road... Traveling with ALS

                                            

I’ve learned that humor is something we all need to incorporate into our days, especially for those of us who live with ALS. And one of the best ways I’ve found to learn how not to take life oh too seriously is to pack my bags and go on a short road trip - - although that's something I haven’t been able to do yet in these post-pandemic days. But whether you are traveling now or staying at home I’m sure you’ll enjoy these memories of a few pre-pandemic trips that challenged me to find the humor in every mile.

Las Vegas here I come!

Ours was a seven-hour drive north to Las Vegas, to attend a gala banquet event; it was a reunion of sorts, filled with old friends, many tributes, and much celebration. It also gave me ample opportunity to practice my wellness behaviors.

For instance, it’s a given that when driving on a highway my husband hates getting stuck behind a truck. Me? Oh, I’d revert to “calm, patient driver” mode and follow that truck for miles and miles. My husband however sees the situation as a personal challenge – that our handicapped van can indeed pass a double-long semi-truck on a winding mountainous two-lane highway. So, while he’s channeling his inner Mario Andretti, I do vocalization drills. Vowel sounds like, “Ooh-ooh-ooh! Aah-aah-aah,” and ending with a “Ye-ow! THAT was close!”

From this point on we practice what we in the wellness industry refer to as, observing silence.

A few pit stops

Back in the day, my husband and I were aces at long road trips. Fuel stops became split-second timing events rivaling pit crews at the Indy 500. We’d pull up to a gas pump, I’d run in, use the restroom facilities and be back in the car by the time my husband had the tank filled. Zoom, we’d be off down the road!

But now that we’ve both reached that golden age of moving slower and I have ALS, pit stops take on a more calculated approach. First, there is reconnaissance before exiting the highway. No more roadside mom-and-pop gas stations; size matters. Scanning the landscape, we search for towering signs indicating that a large fuel plaza is just ahead. Their size guarantees compliance with ADA regulations, such as entryways that accommodate rollators and restrooms that are truly accessible.

Oh, there are always a few things awry and Murphy’s Law prevails. Such as, the lock on the handicapped stall doesn’t quite fit, the floors are wet from having just been mopped and paper towels are nowhere near the sink.

But all is offset by chance encounters with good Samaritans. Total strangers who, seeing my plight, offer to hold the door shut from the outside, another time I’m offered paper towels, and always there’s a friendly smile. In return, I’m generous with my “thank yous” and add their good deeds to my nightly list of gratitudes.

Hotel & motel surprises

On a road trip to San Antonio, it included several overnight stays along the way. Although we always picked brand-name motels, I quickly learned that accessible rooms differ widely in interpretation. Yes, the room was on the ground floor, but hey, several low-mounted towel racks don’t count as grab bars and a little plastic stool placed in the bathtub just doesn’t cut it!

But, I remembered my wellness lessons and silently thanked the motel manager for allowing me to practice mindfulness and hone my balancing skills. Navigating a rollator through the furniture-crowded room with no turnaround space had me fantasizing I was a competitor on the Ninja Warrior TV show!

This was not the case with our fancy-schmancy hotel in the heart of Las Vegas, although I did have one “Uh-oh,” moment when we learned our room was on the third floor. But the cement walkways, a low ramp, and an elevator ride delivered us to a spacious, and I mean spacious room! It was big enough for me to park my scooter near the entry and stretch my legs with a few laps around the room via rollator.

The bathroom? Ahh, the bathroom. Thank you, ADA spirits in the sky! Not only was the bathroom perfect, but it also had a bonafide roll-in accessible shower with a plethora of grab bars, a neat sitting area, and a shower head that moved up and down. Too bad we were staying there for only the one night.

All in all

We’re often reminded to see our lives as a journey and not a destination. We also know that the challenges of living with ALS can be met with a scowl or a laugh. I choose to laugh.

Challenge yourself to laugh out loud at least once a day. As I always say, we can live well while living with ALS.

-------------------------------

Dagmar Munn
ALS and Wellness Blog


I wish travel therapy was covered by my health insurance. Unknown







A version of this post first appeared as my column on the ALS News Today website.

3 comments:

  1. This is just the best of what could possibly happen...not! Had a recent hotel stay for a wedding and we brought the toilet riser, the arsenal of wheeled vehicles, cups with handles and a few other things. Why oh why though didn't the in room desk chair have arms? Who knew that arms could be helpful for someone trying to raise from sitting to standing? No situation is perfect and each case is different, but I do think that ADA should aim for lowest common denominator–and I don't mean that disparagingly. Assume your accessible rooms will need more--lower light switches, toilet riser, maybe a toilet lift seat, a bidet (the Europeans have the right idea), chairs with arms, kitchenettes with lightweight dishes and light weight cups/mugs with handles, a higher bed with split riser so that one side of mattress can be raised to assist exit and entry, a bed handrail, Alexa activated lights with Kasa smart plugs. etc. Please let me design your hotel!!! This is what we think of every time we venture out. I am grateful for a family that thinks of these things as they prepare family events and gatherings, and caring hotel staff that understands what our lives our like–one gentleman who we still remain in contact with was instrumental in our hotel stay on Maui in June 2021. God bless his soul. And thank you Dagmar for raising the alert flag on travel--keep moving so you keep moving. With gratitude, humor, and a bit os sass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I agree! The ADA should consult with actual patients. Thank you for sharing your suggestions and experiences. We can only hope that someday accessible will mean the same thing to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to add my name to the post, but forgot that detail so it came up anonymous. Happy to be known.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. They will be posted soon.