The "4 Ms" - My Formula for Daily Living with ALS

When I was diagnosed with ALS in 2010, my doctor told me there was only one medication available to help slow the progression of the symptoms - - and still no cure. I left her office with a prescription for Rilutek (riluzole), the first treatment approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to treat ALS.

But I also walked out feeling disappointed and frustrated that nothing else existed for newly diagnosed patients like me.

Once home, I recalled the wellness principles I taught during my professional career of nearly 30 years of running a hospital-based wellness center.  Based on those principles I cobbled together a simple formula for daily living and have been following this formula ever since my diagnosis.

Did I say simple? Yup, super simple to remember, but it does take commitment to stick to it e-v-e-r-y day. (pssst, if you need help, that's exactly why I write the ALS and Wellness Blog - - for you!)

In addition to taking my medication and seeing my doctor, I keep my thoughts in the here and now, exercise daily, and practice optimism. Imagine my delight when I discovered several studies validating the components of my plan.

I call my plan the “4 Ms.” Medication, mindfulness, motion, and mood. Let me explain:

Medication: Follow your doctor’s advice, and take all prescribed medications. These will help delay and manage your ALS symptoms.

~ Include getting a good night’s sleep and eating nourishing foods in your definition of “medication.

Mindfulness: A four-month study of 197 ALS patients concluded that the practice of active mindfulness decreases anxiety, depression, and disease progression. It also predicted a higher quality of life for patients who practice mindfulness.

~ Move slowly, pay attention to your movements, and keep your thoughts in the now.  When I notice my thoughts straying toward future worries, I stop, take a slow breath in and out, and notice my surroundings. Practicing mindfulness has helped me feel that I am in control, have more awareness, and that I am moving safely.

Motion: Moderate exercise can be beneficial for ALS patients. A recent study in a mouse model of ALS showed that exercise lessened molecular changes. A separate study showed that it improves lifespan and eases ALS symptoms.

~ In addition to short daily exercise routines scattered throughout my day, I build movement into simple activities.

Mood: A study of 224 ALS patients associated higher levels of emotional well-being with a slower progression of the disease. 

~ Facing life’s curveballs can easily bring down my mood. When I notice that I’m having trouble coping with change, I ask myself what has changed, what I need to do, or who can help me. Let go of thinking of how your life was supposed to be. Laugh often and practice gratefulness. 

Why don’t you talk to your doctor and see if my plan would be a good fit for you?

Remember, my “4 Ms” formula isn’t limited to only helping people who live with ALS, it can be used by anyone with any condition. Share this blog post with your caregiver, family, and friends.

Let’s continue to support each other and live well while living with ALS.

----------------------------------

FOR MORE ON THIS TOPIC, I SUGGEST THESE POSTS

My Tricks for Adding Movement to My Day

How to Focus and Pay Attention  Mindfulness for pALS & cALS

The ALS Game Board of Life 

Explore more posts HERE

 

Dagmar Munn
ALS and Wellness

 

There's always a way - - if you're committed.






A version of this post first appeared as my column on the ALS News Today website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. They will be posted soon.