How I Avoid the Sticky Points in My Day

 

Lately, I’ve been on alert trying to avoid my sticky points. 

These are what I call the particular points in my day when I’m most vulnerable to distractions. Because whenever I’ve given in to the distractions, I end up lost in negative thoughts and I weaken the positive mindset I’ve worked so hard to create - - to help me live with ALS.

But by knowing when my sticky points are most likely to happen and having a plan in place, I’ve found I can avoid them altogether.

What are my sticky points?

I have identified three. The first one happens when I wake up in the morning. Oh, I could easily give in to dreading the day ahead: Here’s to another day dragging around a rollator and drinking thickened coffee through a straw!

Instead, I mentally chant a positive affirmation. Right now, this one works for me: I am happy, I am healthy, I am fit, and I am successful. Sometimes, I use the affirmation: This is going to be fun!

Affirmations are encouraging statements we tell ourselves to maintain a positive attitude and keep our worries in perspective. Studies show that optimism has benefits for mental well-being. When I hear these particular words first thing in the morning, I feel them!

Then while still lying in bed, I do a few gentle stretches while thinking ahead to the day’s projects that await me.

My second sticky point happens in the afternoon when my energy drops and I slump deeper into my chair. It would be easy to stay seated, staring at the computer screen, and unproductively click through posts on Facebook.

Instead, I set an alarm on my tablet to go off every day at 3 p.m. This reminds me to stop, get up, move, and have a fruit smoothie. It doesn’t matter whether we are doing the moving or if someone helps us do it, our bodies benefit from frequent movement (or exercise) breaks.

My last sticky point waits for me at night, when I’m in bed and the lights are off. It would be easy to lie awake for hours, imagining all sorts of dire ALS-related scenarios.

Instead, I fall asleep remembering the day’s events and people with thoughts of gratitude and knowing my life has a purpose. People with a strong sense of purpose in life have higher scores in mental health, well-being, and cognitive function. We even sleep better.

What are your sticky points?

We each have a different journey with ALS but share the potential to succumb to negative thinking. Take a moment to identify the triggers that can derail you and when they might pop up. Try my tips or have a few of your own in reserve.

I’ve found that following a strategy to avoid my sticky points helps to keep my energy up and my attitude positive. Because I believe we can live well while living with ALS.

-----------------------------------

A version of this post first appeared as my column on the ALS News Today website.

Dagmar Munn    
ALS and Wellness Blogger


Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines

Robert Schuller


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. They will be posted soon.