My ALS Strategy to Avoid Being a ‘UFO’: I’m a WIP (Work in Progress)

 

I’m always surprised how something simple and totally unrelated to ALS can change my perspective about living with the disease. For example, who knew that a bag full of unfinished knitting and crocheting projects could lift me out of a temporary mental funk, return me to feeling positive and hopeful, and restore my humorous outlook on life?

But it did. And I’m having so much fun with my new mental game that I think it might help you, too. Here’s what happened:

Meet my bag of UFOs

Lurking on the floor near my sewing machine is a large canvas bag where I put my “UFOs.” (That’s knitting and crocheting slang for unfinished projects.) Mine is a jumble of projects I quit working on because they were either too challenging or time-consuming, or they just weren’t turning out as I’d hoped.

Recently, I had one of those weeks where everything seemed off. My to-do list was way too long plus, frequent interruptions kept bursting in, and I couldn’t focus on anything! And, I’d grown tired of my current evening knitting project. So, into the UFO bag it went.

But now, as I peered into the bag, the thought suddenly struck me that it was like a waiting room of sorts, not much different than the concept of an ALS waiting room I previously wrote about. The ALS waiting room is how I describe the mental space that many with the disease retreat to when they feel cast aside, frustrated, tired of waiting for help, and ready to give up.

Hmm. Perhaps these people are ALS UFOs?

Following the parallels suddenly being drawn in my mind, I thought, “What’s the opposite of being a UFO?” In knitting and crocheting slang, that’s a “WIP,” or work in progress.

Being an ALS WIP (work in progress)

I decided that no matter the daily challenges coming my way, I’d consider myself a long-term work in progress - - and I liked that mental image.

It gave me permission to have days when I get a lot done, including all my exercise routines and a completed to-do list. It also allows for the days when it feels like an uphill battle and I have to adapt and be flexible or start all over again.

When knitting, I often modify the printed pattern of my scarf or shawl to accommodate the yarn I own or to better fit my needs. It’s the same with ALS when I know I can adapt, learn, and survive.

Don’t be a UFO

We all have times of frustration and discouragement, but my mental image of being a work in progress will help change your perspective, as it did for me. Just call me “WIP Dagmar!”

More ideas, mental strategies, and inspiration can be found in my blog’s INDEX – just look under “Stress Management Tips.”

We’re all learning how to live well while living with ALS ---- I’m cheering for you!

 ---------------------------------

FOR MORE ON THIS TOPIC, I SUGGEST THESE POSTS

The ALS Game Board of Life

 How I Use ‘Showing Up’ to Help Me Live with ALS

 

Dagmar Munn
ALS and Wellness Blog 


"It doesn't matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop."

Unknown




A version of this post first appeared as my column on the ALS News Today website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. They will be posted soon.