The View From (Down) Here

 

Like many who live with ALS symptoms, I rely on a rollator. But when out and about and covering longer distances, I use a mobility scooter. My scooter is perfect, and I feel comfortable and confident going almost anywhere with it.

Recently I crossed that almost off the list

Mobility scooters aren’t often seen at gala banquets with everyone dressed to the nines, but a while back, I accepted an invitation to attend one. Immediately, I stressed over the details. My outfit? I picked out something fancy, yet comfortable enough to sit in all evening. My drink? I planned to bring premixed thickened tea in a small travel mug. Would everyone stare at me and my scooter? That one, I worried about a lot.

Nevertheless, I showed up and rolled in

It was the social hour, so I slowly circulated around the room on my scooter. Or I tried to. I was eye level to belt buckles and fancy handbags, and it was a challenge to catch anyone’s attention. I was virtually invisible as people around me looked at each other and across the room, but never down.

The ballroom quickly filled, finally forcing me to stay in one spot. So, I decided to make eye contact from a distance and let the person come to me. It worked! Soon, a few friends gathered around and we began to talk.

But I was still a midget among giants. With all the background noise, my words weren’t heard. I had to shout (or, my ALS-voice version of a shout). To top it off, my neck began to ache from constantly looking up.

Was the whole night going to be a disaster?

Just then, an observant friend tactfully pulled a chair next to me and sat down to continue talking. That prompted two others to pull over chairs and we sat together, conversing eye to eye. Ah-ha, a new tactic!

The rest of the evening, whenever someone approached to chat, I’d gracefully point to one of the chairs and invite them to sit down.

Not surprisingly, most everyone seemed immensely relieved to sit for a few minutes. Plus, I appreciated having them on my level for a relaxed conversation. The evening ended on a high note, and I returned home with many happy memories.

For me, it was an important lesson that I can exert control over my surroundings.

For my friends, I hope they’ll remember to make an effort to sit the next time they find themselves chatting with a person using a mobility scooter or wheelchair. We “sitters” will appreciate you!

The world may not be a perfect place (yet) for mobility scooters, but if we meet in the middle, we can learn from one another… and we can live well while living with ALS

 ---------------------------------

FOR MORE ON THIS TOPIC, I SUGGEST THESE POSTS 

How to Help Your Friends When They Ask How to Help You

How I “C.H.A.R.M.” Myself Through the Holidays Living with ALS


Dagmar Munn
ALS and Wellness Blog


 Assertiveness is your ability to act in harmony with your self-esteem without hurting others.

Unknown

 




A version of this post first appeared as my column on the ALS News Today website.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. They will be posted soon.